Grabbing ‘Green’:

Home » Getting Here

Getting Here



Conference attendees from outside of Canada may require a visa to attend the conference. Generally, the appropriate visa type will be a TRV. An overview of this visa type and the process of obtaining one may be found here.

Travelers should also inquire at the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate for any special, local information and wait times. Please not that issuing a TRV can often take 4 weeks or more. If you need a visa to enter Canada you will need a letter of invitation to the conference. Please send an email directly to

More information on who needs a visa, securing one, and where to apply etc., can be found below.

Directions to CDTS Conferences

The Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies at the University of Toronto (CDTS) is located in the heart of downtown Toronto. The surrounding areas combine historic architecture and inviting green spaces. The closest subway stop to CDTS is “St. George” on both the Bloor-Danforth Line and the Yonge-University-Spadina Line ( Ride Map ). If traveling by taxi, the driver should be asked to go to 170 St.. George St. (Jackman Humanities Building, directly opposite St. George Subway Station). Some of the many different ways to reach the conference site are detailed below.

By Air

1) The major airport in the Toronto area is Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ). It is located just west of the city and is the area’s largest airport and has the most flights, especially for international travelers.

Ground Transportation from Pearson Airport

a. Taxi: It is approx. $60 one-way to downtown. Please follow the signs inside the airport.

b. Public Transportation: 192 Airport Rocket provides all-day accessible express bus service between Pearson International Airport and Kipling Station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway. To get to CDTS, take subway from Kipling Station and get off at St. George Station. Only one ticket is needed and the fare is $3.00 (adult) $2.00 (student/senior).

2) Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) has limited service to select US and Canadian cities. It is located in the heart of the city and is a very short walk to a street car that links to Toronto’s subway system.

Ground Transportation from Toronto City Airport

a) Taxi: Take the ferry from Toronto City Centre Airport to the dock at the base of Bathurst Street where you will find a taxi stand. Time by taxi is approx. 20 min. Fare approx. $20

b) Public Transit: You can take either the 511 Bathurst streetcar to Bathurst Subway Station and take the subway 2 stops east to St. George Station or the 509 Harbourfront streetcar to Union Station (Toronto’s central train station) and take the university line north to St. George station.

By Train

Toronto is served by the VIA Rail System, the network that provides all rail service throughout Canada (with connections to the Amtrak system through Niagara Falls, New York). Union Station is located on Front Street, between Bay and University (across the street from the Fairmont Royal York Hotel). The station is right on Toronto’s subway line. To get to CDTS, take the University line north from Union Station and get off at St. George.

By Bus

Major bus routes converge in Toronto. Out-of-town buses arrive and depart from the Bus Terminal (, located at 610 Bay St. Service to/from points all over Ontario, Canada and the U.S. National and regional bus lines serve the Greater Toronto area. Call 416-393-7911 for bus company fares and schedules. Walk one block south to Dundas St. and 1 block east to Dundas subway Station.

Resources and Links

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport

Toronto Transit Commission

VIA Rail Canada

Greyhound Canada


Information on Entering Canada

Participants will need a valid passport or an appropriate travel document to enter Canada.

Citizens of the United States
US citizens should visit the Department of Homeland Security website for a list of acceptable documents to re-enter the US.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site:

Information on visiting Canada

Do you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada (see for list of countries):

Visiting Canada – Important information for visa exempt travellers (including US Citizens):

Where to send your application for a (TRV):

Video Tutorial on completing the Temporary Resident Visa Application Form (IMM 5257)

Visa Offices outside of Canada

Visa application processing times

Canada Border Services Agency website for your information.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: